[Dixielandjazz] Dirty Dozen Brass Band

Trumpetom at aol.com Trumpetom at aol.com
Fri Jan 17 11:32:41 PST 2003

In a message dated 1/17/2003 7:33:36 AM Pacific Standard Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

> Anybody got an input or suggestions as to how they play, or what songs
> we might play opposite them? Or as to whether they will play N. O.
> Marching or Funeral songs etc. We have no input as yet from the Festival
> on song choices and think we should probably stick with stuff from the
> Condon book and keep far away from our New Orleans repertoire. Thus
> presenting a varied musical program for the attendees.

Impossible to put a label on them. I saw them a few years ago.  Dirty Dozen
is quite a hot group, a real crowd pleaser. The players are all very
accomplished. Bebop, rock, a few vocals, Tower of Power, some street music
suitable for Jackson Square in N. O, some chanting, very little trad.  It was
an all black group with a gritty style. They had a sax player who played alto
and tenor at the same time for a novelty feature.  The sousaphone did long
tones four beat; his lines are walking bass style.  The rhythm section is
high-energy ahead of the beat all the time. I never heard anything like it
before or since. I'd gladly pay good money to see them again.  Anything any
of us play is in contrast to their routine.

Tom Loeb
Riverside CA