[Dixielandjazz] Zep Meisner

Paul Reid whadayesay@webtv.net
Mon Jan 13 12:21:08 PST 2003

   Hi all, and Happy New Year. A little late, but who's counting.
       I Vagely remember a thread on Zep back in 2000. But I don't
remember too much about a discussion of his MGM records in depth. I
would have picked up on that, and here is why.
      Back in the late 40's,  MGM records released an album by Zep that
had a title something like New Old Dixieland Jazz. There was an original
tune that had the album title as it's title. I remember looking through
the MGM 78's of Zep, that Don Brown had at his Jazz Man Record Shop in
Santa Monica, Ca. But no luck. The intro has always stayed in my brain.
It was a unison thing that went something like;        Key of F.
  (rest) A-Bb-B I CA-- B / I BbG-- A / I
I CA B BbG A I AbF G  F / I

    A little explanation of how I wrote that melody out. The 3 notes
after the (rest) are 8th note pickups. The grouped notes such as CA
followed by -- are an 8th, followed by a dotted quarter. 4/4 time.....
Well, more like South Rampart tempo.
     ( I also used a high case I as a bar line.)
Does this melody sound familiar to anyone? Jazz Jery, how about you?
I've been looking for it ever since I was a kid in Detroit. My next door
neighbor who had the album, (which I believe he had ordered from Jazz
Man Record shop when it used to be in Hollywood) introduced me to Zep's
unique sound, as well as Bix. I must have been about age 8. Circa 1947
       I'd love to find a copy of the recording. Do any of you have it.

Humbly and hopeful,
Uncle Paul