[Dixielandjazz] Bob Zurke

Don Ingle dingle@baldwin-net.com
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 16:15:24 -0500

Zurke was from Detroit Polish community- was a child prodigy and was
mentored by Paderowski (sp) at  one time, but caught the jazz bug early and
went that way. His problem with Crosby was that he was an alcoholic -
seriously so and had to be let go. He was a friend of my dad from the 20's
Detroit days and used to hit frequently on Red for a tener or so when he
would meet him in Chicago. Dad was a soft touch for other musicians. My
mother once remarked that if Red had ever gotten paid back by all the loans
to Zurke he could have retired early. But one thing is clear -- he was a
giant of a piano man and technically endowed far beyond most players of his
time.
He died after collapsing at the piano in the Hangover Club on Vine St. in
Hollywood, was carried upstairs while waiting for an ambulance, but died of
heart failure before they could reach him. This was  in the 1940's, war
years. Sad news to all at the time.
Sad thing was that Crosby always seemed to have lush piano men...Joe
Sullivan was another who had a bottle problem.
A carry-over from the days of bad booze and poor diet.
Don Ingle
----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob McCallum" <rakmccallum@hotmail.com>
To: "djml" <dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2003 2:37 PM
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Bob Zurke

Hello all,

Does anyone have any particular memories of pianist Bob Zurke from Bob
Crosby's group?  I know some basic biographical info from some short
websites, but there's not much detail.  Apparently he died young and had
some kind of falling out with Bob Crosby.  A friend of mine is a relative of
his and I'd like to pass on any info.

All the best,

Rob McCallum
www.solarjazz.com