[Dixielandjazz] Bob Zurke

John Farrell stridepiano@tesco.net
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 19:59:07 -0000

Bob Zurke (real name Zurkowski) is one of my heroes and his signed
photograph hangs over my piano.  The few accounts of his life which I have
read tend to dwell too much on his serious booze problem despite the more
important fact that in his day he was one of the best two-fisted attacking
pianists around. His own shortlived band, the Delta Rhythm Boys, was hot,
hot, hot - a while ago a CD was released showcasing this outfit (I've got it
somewhere) which might still be on current release. The liner notes give a
lot of information about him.

John Farrell
stridepiano@tesco.net

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob McCallum" <rakmccallum@hotmail.com>
To: "djml" <dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2003 7:37 PM
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Bob Zurke

Hello all,

Does anyone have any particular memories of pianist Bob Zurke from Bob
Crosby's group?  I know some basic biographical info from some short
websites, but there's not much detail.  Apparently he died young and had
some kind of falling out with Bob Crosby.  A friend of mine is a relative of
his and I'd like to pass on any info.

All the best,

Rob McCallum
www.solarjazz.com