[Dixielandjazz] "Solid Gates" and "In Like Flynn"

PLadd36932@aol.com PLadd36932@aol.com
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 06:49:59 EST

barbonestreet@earthlink.net writes:

<< 1967 a film, In Like Flint, a spy spoof
 starring James Coburn, took its title by wordplay from the older
 expression, >>

Hi Steve

That explanation looks a little unsafe as the title of the film was `Flint`
NOT `In like Flint`.
Unless the title was changed for the UK of course. That is not impossible as
I for one have never heard the phrase `In like Flint` so perhaps it was not a
well known phrase in this country at all.

I am not at all sure there is an `explanation` for the emergence of certain
words. They seem to just take on a life of there own. It is a mystery that a
certain word either suddenly appears in use or changes its meaning. Who
dreamed up `Flip your lid`,``Give me some skin`,` Sock it to me`.`Oh! you
kid`, and how did `wicked` suddenly mean `good` and `cool` mean `approval`?.
While on the subject, who was `Jackson`

Cheers

PatL