[Dixielandjazz] FW: Orange Blossoms photo. Bob-lo

Rob McCallum rakmccallum@hotmail.com
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 23:31:39 -0500

Hello all,

The closing of Bob-lo and the selling of the 2 riverboats (turn of the
century steam ships I believe, I can't recall if they had paddle wheels, but
they were very large and shuttled people from Downtown Detroit to the
amusement park and were a mainstay on the Detroit River) was certainly a big
loss.  The island was redeveloped for private residences @ 10 or 15 years
ago, and my understanding is that the landowners made a fortune.  Bob-lo, as
an amusement park, had been losing money for years.  For jazz content, there
was a large ballroom on the island that had hosted the big bands, I don't
know if that structure was torn down when the island was redeveloped.

Regarding Lake Orion, that area has experienced a tremendous amount of new
development since Chrysler moved it's world headquarters to Auburn Hills and
the Palace Sports Arena (where the Pistons play) was built.  It's certainly
not the sticks anymore, though there are still some apple orchards and
pumpkin patches in the area.

All the best,
Rob McCallum