[Dixielandjazz] CD burners

Dick Miller Dick_Miller@pmug.org
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 17:18:42 -0800

garwall2@sedona.net writes:
>Several days ago one of the members posted an e-mail stating that he
>would like to see someone put out a CD burner that would not only record
>music but would also print the label directly onto the disc rather than
>having to print a separate paper label.
>   Your prayer has been answered!
>   In this morning's Phoenix Republic "FRY'S" ad they listed and I quote;
> Yamaha
>ultimate CD-RW drive
>Exclusive DiscT (disc tattoo) system
>burns graphics and text on any CD,
>eliminating the need for labels.
>$99.99= -$20 rebate = $79.99.
>  I have no interest in FRY'S, or Yamaha and I have no idea what the end
>results look like or even how good the burner may be but it's an idea.

Friends of mine who have seen the results say they're next to worthless.
Hard to read, small, little control over graphics, etc.

You might want to consider one of the label kits you can get at membership
warehouses such as Price/Costco (that may be a West Coast provincial
company) or at Fry's at a respectable discount. They come with special
paper, die-cut for labels, that you put in your computer printer; software
that runs on both Wintel and Mac platforms; and a press for applying the
label accurately. The same friends I mentioned earlier use this kind of a
rig, and are well satisfied.

--Dick Miller