[Dixielandjazz] Re: Gates

glen page gpage@direct.ca
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 23:00:32 -0800

Hi All,

Does the fact that a gate swings have anything to do with it?

My bet would be that somewhere along the way that was a factor. How many
musicians do you know that are called "Gate" do not swing?

I suppose that the well known sax man W.J.Clinton, who knew how to swing for
sure,would have preferred to have been called Gate rather than some of the
other names that he had to endure.

Cheers,Glen.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Hildebrandt" <billhil@prodigy.net>
To: "jazzlist" <dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2003 6:20 PM
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Re: Gates

Would the term "alligator" (as in "See, you later, alligator!") derive from
the musician's term "gate" or vice versa? Back in the forties I recall that
the terms "gate" and "alligator" were used interchangeably. Comments anyone?
Bill Hildebrandt
The New Farmington River Royal Ragtime Ramblers
Simsbury, CT.