[Dixielandjazz] What does "Solid, Gates" mean, anyway?

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 08:15:10 +0000

Hi Listees,

New DJML'er Jeanne Brei inquired about the expression "Solid, Gates"

If you're as old as I am (75) you'll recall various espressions from the 40s
like this. There was "Solid, Jackson" and "Solid, Gates" - These expressions
were used by "hep" musicians to express agreement with the speaker. A
trombonist/comedian of the time who used to appear on the old Bob Hope radio
show was name Jerry Colonna. He was famous for saying "Greetings, Gates"
whenever a friend would appear. Thats the way all those hep cats talked.

As far as who "Gates" and/or "Jackson" actrually were is rather murky in my
mind but I certainly recall the expressions.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Beat Me Daddy, eight to the bar" Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com