[Dixielandjazz] Jazz amputees

Jazzjerry@aol.com Jazzjerry@aol.com
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 18:46:44 EST

In a message dated 10/1/03 7:18:30 PM, drjz@bealenet.com writes:

<< "Jazz and Death, Medical Profiles of Jazz Greats", >>

Fred,

You mean to say this book exists! I thought the thing was a sick joke. What
the hell does it matter how a jazz musician died except that you ain't gonna
hear his or her play again! If a musician gets killled in a car crash, drinks
themselves to death, throws themselves out of a hotel bedroom in Amsterdam or
simply dies peacefully in bed at the age of 104 then this might have some
interest to the insanely morbid but death only affects musicianship in one
way - it ends.

What happens to someone when they are alive happens to be more important and
to a certain extent I can see more sense in the article and discussion which
your original message evoked. Anything which helps or encourages people with
any form of disability to follow a particular chosen career is to be
applauded. Maybe someone should have changed the subject heading to 'Jazz
musicians with disabilities'?

Interesting enough I detect more than a hint of homophobia in your following
quotation, ""Perverse Sexual Habits of Well-known Classical Composers" is
already being met in part--Tchaikovsky's homosexuality is now well known. You
may be interested in a book by John
Gill--"Queer Noises. Male and Female Homosexuality in Twentieth Century
Music".

Are you suggesting that homosexuality is a 'perverse sexual habit'?

Cheers,

Jerry,
Norwich,
U.K.