[Dixielandjazz] Re: Village Stompers - Joe Muranyi

Will Connelly willc@nova.edu
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 16:41:05 -0500

bohem@mail.datanet.hu writes:

  Joe Muranyi actually refused to be included in Armstrong's band
because of
  the success of the Village Stompers he played with.

To which Jim Beebe remarked:

   Somehow, I don't quite buy this.  The Village Stompers did ok for
awhile but not that well that someone is going to turn down a gig with
Armstrong.

Actually, the Village Stompers were pretty hot stuff - fifteen
appearances on Mike Douglas Show plus Hootenanny, the Tonight Show and
Jimmy Dean Shows, Vegas and a Japan tour according to notes I wrote for
a festival flyer back in 1990. They certainly batted in the same league
as the Dukes of Dixieland promotion-wise, if not musically, when both
bands were at their pinnacles.

Kindly

Will Connelly