[Dixielandjazz] AM Radio

George Thurmond gmthur@delrio.com
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 15:58:01 -0600

    Charlie Hull's and Burt Wilson's postings about the powerful Villa
Acuna, Coahuila, Mexico, and Del Rio station (XERF) reminds me of a few
other tidbits about the merchandise hawked on it.  There were also "genuine
simulated diamond rings", and autographed pictures of JC.  Here in Del Rio
some people could pick its signal up on the fillings in their teeth!  I've
heard that the oil cloth dining room table cloth with the Last Supper
pictured on it was the all time best seller.

    The station did keep many a trucker awake at the wheel in the wee hours
of the morning.

    One may laugh at the sales pitch, but I can remember back in those days
of going to the post office in Del Rio and seeing the station's mail man
scooping out of the station's post office box those tons of envelopes
containing cash money!

Geo. Thurmond
Del Rio, Texas