[Dixielandjazz] AM radio

Charlie Hooks charliehooks@earthlink.net
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 00:13:39 -0600

on 1/9/03 9:21 PM, RAHBerry@aol.com at RAHBerry@aol.com wrote:

> I was told by a friend in Monterrey MX that the Del Rio station actually
> broadcast from Mexico.   This was probably in the '50's.

No, dear.  Primarily in the 30's and 40's.  Dr. Brinkley (of whom, say
Halleleulah!) died in the early 50's I believe.  But I recall hearing his
hundred thousand watts come blasting in when I was a kid in Texas during the
30s.

At least, I think I remember.

At my age it's getting harder to remember just what it is (was?) that I
really do remember.   But Brinkley is hard to forget.  Jim Beebe is right
about the Don Imus routine.   It is perfection itself, and on the
Celebration Roadshow we stole all we could.  Which was a lot.

Charlie