[Dixielandjazz] Jazz amputees - church bells, the sequel

Jerry Gordon jerrygordon@juno.com
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 14:26:12 -0500

WARNING: Jazz content - negligible. Humor type - groaner.

Jerry Gordon, Troy, NY - Web master for
http://www.timesunion.com/communities/jazz

A few weeks later, there was a knock on the church door, and when the
priest answered it, he found another man with no arms. The man said, "My
brother died ringing your church bells, and you've got to let me ring
them in his memory."
"But you've got no arms," said the priest. "I can do it. Please, please,
in my brother's memory," said the man.
With great reservations, the priest relented, and the man rushed up the
stairs. Soon the priest heard the lovely strains of When the Saints Go
Marching In. After listening for a few minutes, the priest thought, "I
wonder how he's doing that," and he went up to find out.
When he got to the belfry, he saw the man banging his head against the
bells. Blood ran down his forehead copiously.
"Stop! Stop!" cried the priest. "No! No!" responded the man, continuing
to play. The priest tried to stop him, and in the ensuing struggle, the
man went over the edge and landed on the sidewalk with a thud.
"Oh my gosh," said the priest, as he hurried down the stairs. When he got
outside, a crowd had already formed, including the police.
"Do you know who this man is?" asked a cop. "No," replied the priest,
"but he's a dead ringer for his brother."