[Dixielandjazz] Re: If you knew Sousa

Don Kirkman donkirk@covad.net
Tue, 07 Jan 2003 13:54:59 -0800

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003 09:56:51 -0000, John Farrell wrote:

>I long time ago I heard or read somewhere that Sousa's real name was So and
>that he added the USA himself. Izzat So?

[Start]
I heard a story that Sousa was really an immigrant named John Philipso
but because his steamer trunk was labeled "John Philipso, U.S.A.", he
changed his name to SOUSA. Is this true?
I love this one! There are several versions still floating around, all
based on rumors that he added the U-S-A to his last name out of sheer
patriotism. This is, however, false. Sousa's father was the immigrant,
and Sousa (or Souza, or De Sousa) is a well-known Portuguese family
name. The story was started by the Sousa Band's manager as a publicity
stunt during one of the band's European tours, and it still endures
nearly 70 years after Sousa's death.
[End]
http://www.dws.org/sousa/faq.htm

As a boy I went to school with several Portuguese Sousas, so I can
verify  at least that part of the above.
--
Don
donkirk@covad.net