[Dixielandjazz] Re: If you knew Sousa

Will Connelly willc@nova.edu
Tue, 07 Jan 2003 12:01:09 -0500

While there was a lot of Hollywood in the movie "Stars and Stripes
Forever" (Clifton Webb, Robert Wagner -circa the 60s), there was also a
great amount of marvelous music and splendiferous uniforms. It was a fun
flick that probably contained some elements of truth.

I've just recently gotten a copy of The Glenn Miller Story. Once again,
there's Hollywood in this Hollywood epic, but there's also a lot of
super music and live Ben Pollock and Gene Krupa and Louis and other
Miller bandsmen. Many players I know are sick of Miller charts, but as I
listened to the sound track on headphones, I was stunned by the
complexity and genius of the man's music. Swing ain't jazz . . . or is
it????
Kindly
Will Connelly