[Dixielandjazz] Re: Drum Corps from hell

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 16:37:29 EST

--part1_64.2ac2090d.2b4ca299_boundary

I am taking the liberty of posting this email from Paul Edgerton to me in
response to me on to some things I have posted on 'Drum Corps and high school
stage bands."  His message is right on and beautifully articulated.  My
comments on this subject have been a bit over the top.  I do like to stir
things up now and then and sometimes go overboard on it.

paul.edgerton@eds.com writes:

> Jim,
>
> I agree with most of the things you said about the excesses and abuses in
> the typical drum corps or stage band. Don't be too hasty to count me as a
> big drum corps fan--remember, I was talking my "first and only" DCI show.
> But my brother is a DCI instructor up in Appleton, Wisconsin. Based on his
> experiences, I will have to disagree with your assessment that  "This
> competitive desperation to me almost overrides anything positive gained
> from
> these groups by young people." I can assure you that the lessons they learn
> about responsibility and life override any damage they may have done to
> your
> beloved memories of "real" military music.
>
> If you can accept that a drum corps is not a military field band and that a
> school "jazz ensemble" is not trying to emulate the Tommy Dorsey big band,
> then perhaps you will be better able to see the value in what they actually
> do. Is this the best that we can do for kids? Hell no, but is much better
> than nothing at all--and for a lot of these kids, that's the alternative.
>
> They're never going to sound like The President's Own and they'll never do
> Sousa to your satisfaction. But what they do has merit, and judged as an
> athletic competition (trust me, it IS athletic) that happens include a
> pretty solid grounding in real music, it yields startling results.
>
> Sure, it's bombastic. These are teenagers, after all. I seem to remember a
> big band or two that thrived on bombast. (Kenton, anyone?) If you don't
> like
> the music, that's probably not going to bother many of them. And no, seeing
> them on TV doesn't count.
>
> Anyway thanks for the personal acknowledgement. You're one of the guys I
> respect, and somehow you manage to get me off ass and posting.
>
> Paul

   I accept what Paul says completely and I withdraw 'some' comments I made
on this subject.

  Jim Beebe

--part1_64.2ac2090d.2b4ca299_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3>I am taking the liberty of posting this email from Paul Edgerton to me in response to me on to some things I have posted on 'Drum Corps and high school stage bands."&nbsp; His message is right on and beautifully articulated.&nbsp; My comments on this subject have been a bit over the top.&nbsp; I do like to stir things up now and then and sometimes go overboard on it.<BR>
<BR>
paul.edgerton@eds.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Jim,<BR>
<BR>
I agree with most of the things you said about the excesses and abuses in<BR>
the typical drum corps or stage band. Don't be too hasty to count me as a<BR>
big drum corps fan--remember, I was talking my "first and only" DCI show.<BR>
But my brother is a DCI instructor up in Appleton, Wisconsin. Based on his<BR>
experiences, I will have to disagree with your assessment that&nbsp; "This<BR>
competitive desperation to me almost overrides anything positive gained from<BR>
these groups by young people." I can assure you that the lessons they learn<BR>
about responsibility and life override any damage they may have done to your<BR>
beloved memories of "real" military music.<BR>
<BR>
If you can accept that a drum corps is not a military field band and that a<BR>
school "jazz ensemble" is not trying to emulate the Tommy Dorsey big band,<BR>
then perhaps you will be better able to see the value in what they actually<BR>
do. Is this the best that we can do for kids? Hell no, but is much better<BR>
than nothing at all--and for a lot of these kids, that's the alternative.<BR>
<BR>
They're never going to sound like The President's Own and they'll never do<BR>
Sousa to your satisfaction. But what they do has merit, and judged as an<BR>
athletic competition (trust me, it IS athletic) that happens include a<BR>
pretty solid grounding in real music, it yields startling results.<BR>
<BR>
Sure, it's bombastic. These are teenagers, after all. I seem to remember a<BR>
big band or two that thrived on bombast. (Kenton, anyone?) If you don't like<BR>
the music, that's probably not going to bother many of them. And no, seeing<BR>
them on TV doesn't count.<BR>
<BR>
Anyway thanks for the personal acknowledgement. You're one of the guys I<BR>
respect, and somehow you manage to get me off ass and posting.<BR>
<BR>
Paul</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; I accept what Paul says completely and I withdraw 'some' comments I made on this subject.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp; Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_64.2ac2090d.2b4ca299_boundary--