[Dixielandjazz] Have you ever played in a marching band?

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Tue, 07 Jan 2003 21:37:25 +0000

Hi all,

I signed:

And Bud said:

>I loved that Woody Allen piece where he played cello in the marching
>band...washboard is probably even better!

Of course! Woody had to play two bars, pick up his chair and run ahead and
then sit down a play another 2 bars, etc. whereas a washboard is the
quintessential marching band instrument. It's sort of the glockenspeil of
the percussion section.

However, when I was in a marching band I did not play the washboard. I
didn't even know they were playable! I played Kazoo!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Roll off!" Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com

http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup