[Dixielandjazz] Regarding U.K. taxation...Poppycock!

Artwoo@aol.com Artwoo@aol.com
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 06:06:46 EST

--part1_181.14c53764.2b4c0ec6_boundary

Hi Jerry and taxpayers:

Thanks for the clarification on this issue. Regarding taxation, would you
agree that license fees are a form of taxation? I view any extraction of
money from a citizen to the government as taxation. License fees are just a
clever way of cloaking taxes. What do user fees, tolls, excise fees, postage,
notary fees, permits, hidden charges, mosquito abatement (yes in my property
tax), sewage fees, ad naseum have in common?

I don't question the need for some taxes, but, I dare say, just about
everything we look at is subject to taxation, except for creativity and the
gifts of nature. It's time for moderation on the subject of taxes and
governmental intervention.

The troubling aspect of this is its selectivity...as you say a stripper can
perform in an unsafe environment but a jazz band would be subject to more
stringent safety standards. Brought down to a basic argument we can conclude
that England would rather see lurid displays of nudity than listen to
jazz...I agree it's a tough choice, but why not have both? Make everyone
happy and bring back Burlesque.

I am not disputing the need for health and safety standards. The uneven
treatment disturbs me and I understand your frustration.  Frankly if every
dance hall, nightclub, pavilion, exhibition hall, restaurant, hotel, etc.
were safe environments, musicians would only be able to play in churches
(exempted by law) Then we'd have to donate our time and never get paid.  Or
maybe the candles, incense, and unclean communion chalices and ciboria will
be the death of us.

Is the expression "poppycock" still used in the UK? This situation is pure
poppycock.

If the authorities want health and safety why not ban smoking in most public
places as we have done in California?  (I'm an ex-smoker and adamant about
smoke-free environments.) Smoking in public is akin to legalizing poisoned
air and infringes on my right to breathe clean air.

Actually the Libertarian view is to allow everyone the right to poison
themselves but not force their vices on innocent bystanders.  Thus I can
drink all I want as long as I don't drive when I am impaired. Its OK to play
my horn after a few drinks, as long as I don't fall off the stand and collide
with the dancers.

I do feel sorry for the smokers in California. They are forced to smoke
outside in all weather conditions; sometimes the rain puts out their
cigarettes.

What truly bothers me is the tendency for governments to over-legislate and
create unnecessary inequities.

If you detect some ambivalence in my arguments I do too, but what the heck
who's perfect?

Musical content: The Mikado-- Song No. 17 -- Act II   "A More Humane Mikado"
or "I've Got Plenty of Nothing" , "10 Cents a Dance", "Brother can you spare
a dime?"

Sincerely,
Art  Wood

PS One of my favoritie British exports is the televised sessions of
Parliament.  I  enjoy the groans of disagreement and all the emotive here
heres the members of the House of Commons display. They all seem to be craggy
fellows that enjoy ridculing each other. Kinda like musicians.

--part1_181.14c53764.2b4c0ec6_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">Hi Jerry and taxpayers:<BR>
<BR>
Thanks for the clarification on this issue. Regarding taxation, would you agree that license fees are a form of taxation? I view any extraction of money from a citizen to the government as taxation. License fees are just a clever way of cloaking taxes. What do user fees, tolls, excise fees, postage, notary fees, permits, hidden charges, mosquito abatement (yes in my property tax), sewage fees, ad naseum have in common?&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
I don't question the need for some taxes, but, I dare say, just about everything we look at is subject to taxation, except for creativity and the gifts of nature. It's time for moderation on the subject of taxes and governmental intervention.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
The troubling aspect of this is its selectivity...as you say a stripper can perform in an unsafe environment but a jazz band would be subject to more stringent safety standards. Brought down to a basic argument we can conclude that England would rather see lurid displays of nudity than listen to jazz...I agree it's a tough choice, but why not have both? Make everyone happy and bring back Burlesque. <BR>
<BR>
I am not disputing the need for health and safety standards. The uneven treatment disturbs me and I understand your frustration.&nbsp; Frankly if every dance hall, nightclub, pavilion, exhibition hall, restaurant, hotel, etc. were safe environments, musicians would only be able to play in churches (exempted by law) Then we'd have to donate our time and never get paid.&nbsp; Or maybe the candles, incense, and unclean communion chalices and ciboria will be the death of us. <BR>
<BR>
Is the expression "poppycock" still used in the UK? This situation is pure poppycock.<BR>
<BR>
If the authorities want health and safety why not ban smoking in most public places as we have done in California?&nbsp; (I'm an ex-smoker and adamant about smoke-free environments.) Smoking in public is akin to legalizing poisoned air and infringes on my right to breathe clean air. <BR>
<BR>
Actually the Libertarian view is to allow everyone the right to poison themselves but not force their vices on innocent bystanders.&nbsp; Thus I can drink all I want as long as I don't drive when I am impaired. Its OK to play my horn after a few drinks, as long as I don't fall off the stand and collide with the dancers.<BR>
<BR>
I do feel sorry for the smokers in California. They are forced to smoke outside in all weather conditions; sometimes the rain puts out their cigarettes.<BR>
<BR>
What truly bothers me is the tendency for governments to over-legislate and create unnecessary inequities.<BR>
<BR>
If you detect some ambivalence in my arguments I do too, but what the heck who's perfect?<BR>
<BR>
Musical content: The Mikado-- Song No. 17 -- Act II&nbsp;&nbsp; "A More Humane Mikado"</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=5 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">or "I've Got Plenty of Nothing" , "10 Cents a Dance", "Brother can you spare a dime?"<BR>
<BR>
Sincerely,<BR>
Art&nbsp; Wood <BR>
<BR>
PS One of my favoritie British exports is the televised sessions of&nbsp; Parliament.&nbsp; I&nbsp; enjoy the groans of disagreement and all the emotive here heres the members of the House of Commons display. They all seem to be craggy fellows that enjoy ridculing each other. Kinda like musicians.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<P ALIGN=CENTER> <BR>
<BR>
</P></FONT></HTML>
--part1_181.14c53764.2b4c0ec6_boundary--