[Dixielandjazz] The Best Damn Band

JBruno868@aol.com JBruno868@aol.com
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 18:56:29 EST

In a message dated 1/5/03 3:08:15 PM, BDZeiger@aol.com writes:

<< Don:
Being a retired AF trumpet player, I would be less than true to the "blue"
and say that the AF Band in Washington, in fact, all of the AF bands that
I've been involved in are also very good, if not considered the best of the
service bands. Just my humble opinion. I'll go back to lurking and put on my
flame retardant underwear now.

Bruce Zeiger
MSgt (ret.) USAF >>

I was a member of the Women's Army Corps Band way back in the Sixties when
they had a Women's Army Corps. At that time it was the only band in the
Service that a women could join. I can't say honestly that it was the best
band in the land but I will say that we had some of the best musicians I have
ever heard. Women finding it hard in that day and age to make a living from
playing and this was one place where they could do so. Some of these women
could really play. I got rather bored with always playing Military Marches
although I do enjoy them. I tried at the time to get a OKOM group going but
it was never able to get off the ground. After about a year I was asked if I
wanted to be the Entertainment Director at Ft. McClellan ALA, which at the
time was the Center for the Women's Army Corps and took the job and worked
often with the band for shows, etc.

The band was dissolved when women became part of the Regular Army in 1970.
Women are now part of bands in every branch of the military.

Hugs

Judie