[Dixielandjazz] The Best Damn Band --Yawn.

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Sun, 05 Jan 2003 19:49:34 +0000

Hi all,

The pithy question has been asked:

>Are we going to discuss marching bands forever?  21 such messages so far (I
>may not be counting some I've deleted).  I think it's time to get back to
>dixieland and other early jazz...

I don't know about y'all, but if the DJML were restricted to the point that
college bands (the breeding ground for OKOM bands yet to come) I'm afraid
I'd be bored out of my skull. I think that's putting too fine a point on the
sort of material discussed herein.

Further, the fact that there are many postings on this subject show more
than a parochial interest in such things.

. . . but further - David in Delta does raise a valid point - we often do
drift pretty far afield of "appropriatness" (sp?) here in the DJML. It's
wise to be aware of such excursions into irrelevance and make the attempt to
keep it in check. However, I don't think the discussion of such things as
college bands, drum and bugle corps, military tattoos, etc. are really taboo
(a tattoo taboo!). Marches, along with quadrilles, ragtime, blues, folk
music, work songs, etc. etc. etc. are all part of the evolution of OKOM!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "I was in a marching band in school" Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com

http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup