[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz digest, Vol 1 #403 - 17 msgs

David W. Littlefield dwlit@cpcug.org
Sat, 04 Jan 2003 20:01:22 -0500

At 09:56 AM 1/4/2003 -0800, you wrote:

> For what it's worth, the use of the term "mainstream", I think, helps
> musicians explain their music to customers..... Such as "we play mainstream
> jazz", or, "we don't play mainstream music".  The customer interprets the
> comment his own special way.
> Russ Guarino

If you're explaining your music to customers, or prospective customers, you
want to use reasonably precise and accurate terminology. You definitely do NOT
want them making their own interpetations: if they're prospects, they need to
know what to expect and conversely, you want to make sure they're getting what
they want. If the people are listeners, decent terminology will help them get
records from stores or libraries if they wanna here more.

--Sheik