[Dixielandjazz] Swingin' Beethoven?

D and R Hardie darnhard@ozemail.com.au
Sun, 05 Jan 2003 11:04:32 +1000

Dave ,
          More specifically it is about 11 minutes

into the final movement of Symphony No 9. If your
friend is not lucky enough to have a copy of 'The
Loudest Trumpet' where it is discussed and
illustrated on pp 79/80 it is on p251 of the 1976
edition of  Groves  in the section on syncopation,

and quoted as an example of ragging the tune. It
swings more or less depending on the conductor.
best wishes

 Dan Hardie
Check out the website:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~darnhard/EarlyJazzHistory.html