[Dixielandjazz] Dancing - pro or con?

David Palmquist davidpalmquist@dccnet.com
Sat, 04 Jan 2003 13:41:52 -0800

Perhaps not quite OKOM, but Ellington would once in a while feature a
number where the band would build from the rhythm section to the full
band.  The piece would start just with the drums, then the bass vamping,
then the piano, then a trombone, and another, and so on, until everyone was
wailing away.  This would have been very "showy," of course, but perhaps
somewhat educational as well?

I have a notation processor which allows playback.  I showed a friend the
effect of adding the playback of successive instruments, rhythm, low brass,
reeds, in a piece I was transcribing.  He's not a musician, and for the
first time he gained an appreciation of the various elements that go into
making a song.

David in Delta

.