[Dixielandjazz] Mainstream

fred spencer drjz@bealenet.com
Fri, 03 Jan 2003 12:23:02 -0500

Dear Anton,
"A Daniel come to judgment! yea, a Daniel!". Although not exactly apposit=
e,
this Shakespearean quotation (The Merchant of Venice, IV, i, 223. [Bartle=
tt.
Familiar Quotations]) is almost justified in the case of your "Danielesqu=
e"
revelation of the OED source of "Mainstream", which should settle it once=
 and
for all. Who could argue with that Oxford arbiter of the English language=
? I
have a  copy of Traill's "Concerning Jazz" and, on page 55, there it is! =
think we tend to forget about  the scholarly excellence of the OED in the=
 more
mundane world of jazz. I envy you if you own this priceless (that should =
be
pricey!) set.
Incidentally, there is an ongoing debate about the content of  the first
revision of another OUP publication, the 1885-1901 "Dictionary of  Nation=
al
Biography" (DNB). I wonder how many, if any,  jazz musicians will be incl=
uded
- perhaps Old Etonian "Humph", John Dankworth, CBE, and his wife, Dame Cl=
eo
Laine, Graeme Bell, MBE, Oscar Peterson, CC, and the late Ronnie Scott, O=
BE,
(even George Melly ?)? Anyone suggest others from the old country (UK) or=
 its
Commonwealth ? Cheers.
Fred