[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz digest, Vol 1 #399 - 15 msgs

DWSI@aol.com DWSI@aol.com
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 10:15:09 EST

--part1_159.19cc0fa9.2b45b17d_boundary

In a message dated 1/2/2003 9:58:34 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dixielandjazz-request@ml.islandnet.com writes:

> Message: 8
> Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 18:49:09 -0600
> To: DJML <dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com>
> From: Dan Augustine <ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu>
> Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Dancing and Dixieland
>
>    I noticed a common element among the comments of a number of
> successful OKOM/dixieland bands:
>    "Lu Watters had always felt that jazz and dance should go hand in
> hand as they had in the early days." (_Emperor Norton's Hunch_, p.
> 77)  He wanted to get as many people as possible out of their seats
> and onto the dance floor.
>    Steve Barbone has recounted many times that people like to dance
> along with the music his band plays, even folks over 70 when fast
> tunes are being played.

Dan Spink replies with a question:

Dan Augustine's comments on Lu Watters' comments about OKOM wants to get as
many people as possible out on the dance floor rang a bell with me. It seems
to describe the essential difference (to me) between OKOM and what is usually
thought of as "modern jazz" including Miles Davis's and Dizzie Gillespie's
bop music. You don't have to have a "dance band" to make music that makes you
feel like dancing and that's what OKOM does so often. However, modern jazz
(for me) does not. In other words, it's a totally different listening
experience. I feel and want to move with OKOM. Modern jazz I think is music
that makes you withdraw into yourself and contemplate and cool jazz makes
great background music for this reason; especially if you're in a dark cellar
where musicians wear dark glasses and say "cool" things while they play. Does
anyone agree with me or am I out on a lonley limb (again)?

Dan (piano fingers) Spink

--part1_159.19cc0fa9.2b45b17d_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR="#3dffff"><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="FIXED" FACE="Courier New" LANG="0"><B>In a message dated 1/2/2003 9:58:34 AM Eastern Standard Time, dixielandjazz-request@ml.islandnet.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #3dffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="arial" LANG="0"></B>Message: 8<BR>