[Dixielandjazz] Re: Jazz Popular?/Mainstream

D and R Hardie darnhard@ozemail.com.au
Thu, 02 Jan 2003 08:39:55 +1000

Dear Fred and Richard,
                                   I certainly
cannot document my recollections about how the
term mainstream was used  here. They have to be
considered solely as oral history, with all the
limitations that implies. If you want to establish
where and how the term first appearedyou will need
to look elsewhere.I would like to repeat my belief
that it did not originate here. I have not
researched it nor do I intend to.It is well
outside the scope of my present researches.
                          I do not understand the
so called global argument. Surely, ifall jazz is
derivative, it is derived from  original US
models. All the major developmants of
jazz,including the infusion of latin elements took
place there. The purist would surely say we are
all 'Buddy's Children'. In my time Australia  has
never contributed anything new to the mix, though
there have been some very good bands here, all
following US or British trends. There was a short
period when bands like Graeme Bell's were playing
what was referred to as an Australian style but by
the mid 50's even his band was playing mainstream
jazz.(IMHO).Even our modernists all sounded like
Charlie  Parker clones.
                      I absolutely agree with Fred
about unsubstantiated facts in jazz history.In
'The Loudest Trumpet' I too quoted Collier's view
that much of what has been taught in the field is
not true.
                      I also sympathise with Fred
about errors creeping into published work no
matter how hard you try to keep them out. Also, as
soon as it's written, it's out of date. Even Don
Marquis whose researches I admire greatly  could
be proved wrong  if someone finds evidence that
after all Buddy Bolden was a Barber.
 regards Dan Hardie

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~darnhard/EarlyJazzHistory.html