[Dixielandjazz] Re: Jazz Popular?/Mainstream

jazzfact jazzfact@ozemail.com.au
Wed, 1 Jan 2003 11:38:24 +1000

Hi Dan

You singled out Australian jazz as "Australian jazz, whether up to date
or truly ancient, is fundamentally derivative".

Surly then all jazz including the American experience fits that
category.

I would have thought considering the global nature of the art form that
the purist would be looking at the world stage to find the original,
rather than music from a geographic zone.

Regards

Richard Stevens
www.ozemail.com.au/~jazzfact/

-----Original Message-----
From: dixielandjazz-admin@ml.islandnet.com
[mailto:dixielandjazz-admin@ml.islandnet.com] On Behalf Of D and R
Hardie
Sent: Wednesday, 1 January 2003 9:17 AM
To: fred spencer
Cc: DJML
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Re: Jazz Popular?/Mainstream

Dear Fred,
                 I did not suggest that the style
originated in Australia, merely that the term
Mainstream was used by some musicians here to
describe their  middle of the road music.Its not a
myth I would want to perpetuate. I don't think
they had it in them to invent anything, and they
probably got the word, like everything else they
did,  from a US source, most likely from a local
journalist aping US counterparts. It gave them an
acceptable platform in between the 'really square'
and the 'truly hip'. I would have thought the
timing was late 1940's to early fifties, fairly
late in the bop era.  Australian jazz, whether  up
to date or truly ancient, is fundamentally
derivitive.

 regards Dan Hardie
 Check Out the Early Jazz History site at:
 http://members.ozemail.com.au/~darnhard/EarlyJazzHistory.html

---