[Dixielandjazz] kid's concert

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Fri Feb 28 21:19:01 PST 2003

Just got back from doing a concert at an elementary school outside of
Madrid.  Lot's of fun, but, of course had to control matters a bit so
the kids didn't leap up and start wiggling down the aisles.  They all
loved the concert (almost an hour).  I gave them a little talk after the
first song about the role of each instrument in the band, and each guy
tooted one chorus as an example.  The rest was playing.

Although it has been expressed on DJML that this sort of thing is often
done free of charge, we don't do that.  This was supported by City Hall,
and we got what we would normally get for a full-blown concert.

Real fun playing to a crowd that was eager to the point of near panic!
I daresay a modern jazz group would have trouble connecting with 300
tiny kids squeezed into a gym, but OKOM is great for that.  It's the
swing that does it.  I got the kids to clap when the drummer did his
demo....on 2 & 4.  However, most of 'em went back to their usual 1 & 3
thing during the concert.  That's only normal as Spanish folk music is
on those beats (except for the 3/4 stuff, of course).  There was on Down
syndrome child, though, that clapped always...and perfectly...on 2 & 4!

I've got the first weekend free now in months.  My wife (who says "you
work every weekend!) is in London!  Figure it.............

Jim   :>