[Dixielandjazz] Harmony is more than a musical term

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 28 16:17:45 PST 2003

To Burt Wilson and all,

Burt asks Ringwald (about political statements on the DJML):

>Isn't this kind of stuff grounds for dismissal from the DJML list?

One might think so but that's a bit draconian isn't it? After all, the
postings represent topics people are passionate about. The DJML is a list of
friends and it's difficult to avoid passionate topics when talking to
friends.

I, like you, Burt, would prefer not to see the political inclinations of
listmates blazoned on the DJML but I understand the tensions of the moment
and tend to be more forgiving of such lapses. I disagree with at least half
of the things my friends say and it's difficult to keep my mouth shut.

Some of us on the DJML have formed our own little group for off list
political discussion. There we can argue and carry on to our hearts content.
I wish more of our treasured DJML members could do likewise.

In the meantime, we might reflect that today virtually any political
position one takes will offend at least half of the readers. Why would
anybody want to say something to a group of friends that is divisive and
bitter?

I'm sorry to say that I'm possibly as guilty as any in this respect and I'll
make an effort to moderate my postings in the interest of DJML harmony.

Conclusion: I know the practice of speaking one's mind will continue but I
am content to either ignore it or simply remind others that taking such
postings off-list is the preferred course . . . not eviction from the DJML.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com