[Dixielandjazz] Given ("christian") names - Bix vs Bismark

Anton Crouch a.crouch at unsw.edu.au
Fri Feb 28 16:49:23 PST 2003

Hello Norrie and Maurie

Let's all stand and pause, before deciding who's correct.

My view is that there is no doubt that our Leon was called "Bix" from birth
and was probably so christened. The problem is that the published evidence
for the name given at the registration of birth is not 100% conclusive.

We all know the reproduction of the birth certificate on page 26 of
Sudhalter and Evans (no doubt about "Leon Bix Beiderbecke") but that is a
1963 document. Who among us has seen the original? (Book 6, page 24 of the
birth records of Scott County, State of Iowa).

Just being the devil's advocate   :-)

All the best
Anton

PS:  My favorite jazz name is Alonzo Crumby, a drummer who played with
Brownlee's Orchestra of New Orleans in the 1920s.