[Dixielandjazz] Is this site dangerously famous?

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 27 22:49:20 PST 2003

Famous! Famous? What's "famous?"

Lotsa talk about fame and those amongst us who are or ain't famous.

I think all of us could realize that if you're talking about Fame there's no
point in looking in on the Grammies or any pop culture awards shindig.

That's confusing "Celebrity" with "Famous."

In my lexicon they're pretty much different things.

Celebrities (current):
   Eminem
   Tom Cruise
   Gangsta rap singers
   more of this ilk

Famous individuals:
   Jonas Salk
   Jesus Christ
   William Shakespeare
   Isaac Newton

To me "fame" is not fleeting . . . celebrity status is. "Fame" is more
permanent.  To be "famous" you have to transcend time. Being a celebrity is
just a flash in the pan and then you're forgotten forever.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "just a thought" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com