[Dixielandjazz] Polkas and OKOM and Compromises

Charlie Hooks charliehooks at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 27 16:25:34 PST 2003

on 2/27/03 2:47 PM, Stephen Barbone at barbonestreet at earthlink.net wrote:

> For all those meat heads saying that OKOM is banjo-tuba only, I say
> BS. That was a commercialization of the original jazz by players
> who wanted to get in on the action and record. It is not "authentic".
> It is good music for sure, but not the only way to go.

    The dixie band I learned on back in 1946, when finally the older players
cam home from the service, used an amplified accordion as its chordal
instrument, and the player (from the Art Van Dam school of playing) got a
helluva punch from it, and big full chords when appropriate.  The band swang
its tail off, both the trombone and the string bass were formerly on Jack
Teagarden's big band.  That accordion saved from all the lousy pianos in NCO
clubs and VFW halls; and it blends beautifully with clarinet or tenor.

Charlie, reminiscing again.