[Dixielandjazz] RE: What did L. Armstrong play?

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 27 16:41:37 PST 2003

Hi Dave and listmates,

>Who needs a drummer--Turk Murphy made many fine OKOM records sans drummer,
>and the performance I saw live didn't have a drummer, just occasional
>washboard played by Turk, and Chinese tom by the banjo player.

There was a period of time when John Gill played with the band when a small
drum kit was in evidence. John played banjo but occasionally would go to the
traps and play a tasteful drum part.

As I recall, the drum kit consisted of a snare, a high-hat and a splash
cymbal. Possibly there was a small tom but I'm not sure. And there was
certainly no kick drum or ride cymbal in the mix.

Perhaps at my advanced age my memory is failing me and someone more
knowledgeable than I may recall this with greater clarity.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "What was that again?" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com