[Dixielandjazz] Grammys and OKOM

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Wed Feb 26 11:05:27 PST 2003

Steve,

I think this is a self-fulfilling prophecy kind of thing.  The general
public tends to like what they are fed.  Remember the (albiet rather brief)
popularity surge in swing after the commercial for jeans using swing music
and jitter bug dancers?  So, if there were more notice given to what is out
there being performed and recorded in OKOM, its popularity might rise and if
it rises then there would be more likelihood of it winning some kind of
award.  As I said to someone recently, back in 1973, the New Black Eagles
were nominated for a Grammy for their LP, "On the River".  I don't remember
the category or why we have not seen more of OKOM since.  Perhaps the rules
have changed.

Ron L