[Dixielandjazz] Latin Jazz

D and R Hardie darnhard at ozemail.com.au
Wed Feb 26 12:17:20 PST 2003

Hi all,

                 An extremely interesting article
entitled 'New Orleans Jazz and Caribbean Music' by
Don Rouse appeared some time back on the Potomac
River Jazz Club home site (www.prjc.org ). He
draws attention to numerous jazz recordings with
latin characteristics.  You might be able to get a
copy by enquiring at that  site.
                As for the essay  by Jack Stewart
on the Cuban Danzon site  mentioned by Dan
Augustine, it appears to have been based on
research undertaken for  his article "Cuban
Influences on New Orleans Music" that appeared in
the Tulane Jazz Archive journal  Jazz Archivist
Vol XIII 1998 -1999).  It is detailed and very
well documented. Dr. Stewart has a reputation for
the quality of his research. Both articles would
be of interest  to  anyone wanting to pursue this
subject.
regards,
Dan Hardie

Visit the Early Jazz History site at: