[Dixielandjazz] Grammy Awards and OKOM

John Petters jpettjazz at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 25 18:16:32 PST 2003

Bill said
> They work hard for what they get. But we living OKOM dudes are the true
> amateurs - we do it for love, not money, fame or fortune.

This is part of the problem. In the UK at least, there are many bands who
are prepared to work for peanuts. Pay peanuts and you get monkeys. The
venues are usually free admission pubs where the owner makes his money (if
he is lucky) on beer sales. This forces those that run clubs where an
admission is charged on the door, to charge low fees, which in turn means
that musicians cannot get a sensible reward for their years of hard work.
There are some clubs who bite the bullet and charge sensible prices, and
today that means anywhere from £10 upwards.
By presenting the band professionally, and putting together a theme, it is
then possible to sell it to theatres, who would not ordinarily look at
booing a jazz band for a concert. So I put out a 5 piece band and play a
Fats Waller, Hoagy Carmichael or a Crosby tribute and theatres will book it.
It takes a bit of imagination, and perhaps that is what we all need if the
Grammys the BBC or whoever are going to sit up and take notice of the music.
I maintain it is possible to play this music for love and to do it with a
professional attitude, earn some money and maybe a little bit of fame
cheers

John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ