[Dixielandjazz] Grammy Awards and OKOM

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 25 16:42:54 PST 2003

Hi Dan and all,

You wrote:

>     The apoplectic paroxysm of shrill self-congratulatory onanism called
>the Grammy Awards was rather irritating to me . . . Perhaps the most
>annoying aspect about the awards is the lack of any category for
>'Traditional Jazz' (or whatever inaccurate neologism the organization's or
>network's flacks could decide on)...  Who decides what categories exist?
>And what gives them the right to do so?

I think you answered the question (who decides?) yourself.

As you point out, program is self-congratulatory. They will obviously only
select the categories in which their performers are involved.

The BIG MONEY is in the categories they selected - not in trad jazz. When
was the last time my band (or any contemporary trad band) sold a million
CDs?

Also, your question ( . . . what gives them the right to do so?) is
easily answered - They do it because they can and they don't need no "right"
(grammatic liberties for emphasis)!

You shouldn't get ticked because those noise makers are in the spotlight.
They work hard for what they get. But we living OKOM dudes are the true
amateurs - we do it for love, not money, fame or fortune.

Cheers,

Bill "If I were a rude rapper I'd be a millionaire" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com

ps. The only reason I'm not a rude rapper is because I'm too old. But if I
were really young I'd embrace the art form in a minute. Not because it is so
artistic but because I'd love to get my hands on tons of available money!
Call me crass but hey, I'd be happy to drop a coin in your instrument case
when you're playing your saxophone on the corner.

-bg