[Dixielandjazz] Peanut Vendor

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Tue Feb 25 13:55:39 PST 2003

In a message dated 2/25/03 11:22:27 AM Central Standard Time,
stridepiano at tesco.net writes:

> Frequently the chart would begin with saxes, not the rhythm section alone.
> Sometimes it started with the trombones. Sometimes with both sections. It
> all depended on the time and the place .   .   .   and the players. Stan
> would kick this off, and we never really knew what was about to happen. In
> later years, the trombones even fragmented the vamp."
>
> There is more but the above will give you the general idea of the problems
> to expect when attempting to play this wonderful chart.
>
> John Farrell

   Thanks for your research on the "Peanut Vendor", John.   The original as
recorded on Capitol records is the definitive version.  The trombone solo, I
believe, was by Milt Bernhart.  The original version had the rhythm just
right.  Subsequent versions underwent a lot of tinkering and this great
arrangement lost its effectiveness.

  Jim Beebe