[Dixielandjazz] RE: Christian names

Walker, Maurice maurice.walker at gwl.com
Tue Feb 25 11:44:04 PST 2003

For years I've toyed with the idea of an interesting-name all-star band.
These would be real names, not obvious nicknames like Pops Foster, Fud
Livingston, Howdy Quicksell, Miff Mole, Turk Murphy.

Clarinet: Albany (Barney) Bigard
Trombone: DePriest Wheeler
Piano: Hartzell (Tiny) Parham
Banjo: Silas Cluke
Bass: Wellman Braud
Drums: Dash Burkis (he recorded with Wingy Manone; this may be my all-time
favorite name, and I included it even though it's probably a nickname)
Vocalist: Hoagland Carmichael

I've saved trumpet/cornet for last, because it's really a section:
Leon Bismarck Beiderbecke
Langston Curl
Loring (Red) Nichols
Chelsea Quealy