[Dixielandjazz] Bands in the 1950's

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Feb 24 08:57:32 PST 2003

DJML--
    OK, folks, since we have been having a moment of silence that has gotten out of hand, here's something to think about: what OKOM bands were active and well-known in the 1950's?  I'm not talking about individual players, but BANDS, and preferably nationally or internationally known ones.  Ready?  Here's a few, and what are some others?  I'm only going to list a few of the ones i know about as a starter, but i have lots i won't mention yet.  Think about who was appearing on TV, in nightclubs, and also what bands were fairly well known in a particular city or region or state or country. (Now, just 'cause i don't mention a band, don't think i don't know about them; i want to have people submit names.)

Dukes of Dixieland (Assuntos)
Firehouse Five Plus Two
Al Hirt
Turk Murphy