[Dixielandjazz] Charlie's take on drummers

Bill Biffle bbiffle at swcp.com
Sun Feb 23 10:06:02 PST 2003

Charlie's post about the importance of a good drummer put me in mind of an
experience I had 15 years ago or so.  My wife and I were on a cruise to the
Caribbean and on the boat was the usual "house band".  Good enough playing
in small and large combos for several venues/event on the boat.  Then,
mid-week brought on board our "guest celebrity", Bobby Rydell*.  And with
him came his "musical director", a drummer.  This gentleman - the drummer -
placed himself upstage center of the "big band" for the show and I thought
they'd brought in a completely new group of players.  They played much
tighter, swung much harder, played with more confidence and verve, and
generally sounded like a completely new band.

Just drove home the lesson to me of how important a strongly beating,
dependable "heart" is to all that we do.

Bill Biffle
Albuquerque, New Mexico USA