[Dixielandjazz] Song Lyrics

Charlie Hooks charliehooks at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 12 23:41:09 PST 2003

on 2/12/03 6:43 PM, Bob Romans at cellblk7 at attbi.com wrote:

> May I invite the submission of grammatically incorrect titles and/or lyrics
> along with their "correct" renditions . . .
>
> "Ain't misbehavin'"  = "I'm not acting Inappropriatly"
>
> "I ain't gonna tell nobody" = "I won't tell anyone"
>
> "Who can I turn to?" = "Whom can I turn to?"
>
> etc.

    Uh, Hey, Bill...?

    Ya wanna write a song, you can do any damn thing with it you wanna--bad
grammar, mis-spellings--whatever.

    You want to write a letter, the English language has rules.  Ignore them
at the risk of someone (probably me) yelling at you.  Songs are written for
the General Public, most of whom are ignoramuses.  Letters to the List are
written for the Very Special People who KNOW THINGS--some of which things
are the rules of English Grammar.

    Wait a minute!  Is this GUNTER coming at me?  Hey, Bill!  You know
better than that...