[Dixielandjazz] RE:Moderation

Burt Wilson futurecon at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 11 10:15:30 PST 2003

Moderation is good. It is the middle way. The Golden Mean. In fact, I get
very mean every time I moderate. I expect that if I ask a drummer to
moderate his playing he is going to get very mean. That's why I say to hell
with this quiet music stuff. Anyone want to moderate Lu Watters? I mean,
like, full-frontal loud, man. That's the scene. I remember once in 1959 when
the Silver Dollar Jazz Band was playing a steak house in Sacramento. The
owner came up to us on opening night and said, "Hey can you guys play with
mutes? The people can't hear themselves talk!" To which Phil Howe said,
"Well, they can't see themselves think, either." Great come-back.

Burt Wilson
Silver Dollar Jazz Band