[Dixielandjazz] Croakers

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 9 17:23:51 PST 2003

Hi Listmates,

Will Connelly wrote:

<I despise, however, girl singers who shriek, scream, do criminal
>violence to beautiful melodies and haven't the faintest understanding of
>pianissimo.

To which Jack Thomas responded:

>Even if they do it intentionally??
>
>Like Darlene Edwards for instance?  :-)

On the other hand, Darlene Edwards (Jo Stafford) is aided in her vocal
villainies by her admirable abilities to sing well.

Another example would be Florence Foster Jenkins except that this dear lady
was convinced that she possessed the voice of a goddess even though she did
terrible violence to beautiful melodies.

And then there is the fabled Mrs. Miller who sold a lot of record albums
with a less than accomplished voice.

If you're not familiar with these two ladies do a Google Search and I'm sure
you'll turn up tons of fascinating reading.

The difference between Darlene Edwards and the other two I mentioned is that
Edwards did it on purpose and the other two were entirely sincere in their
belief that they were blessed with lovely voices.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Mr. Intonation" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com