[Dixielandjazz] Arturo Sandoval plays Bix

Bob Romans cellblk7 at attbi.com
Sat Feb 8 07:52:29 PST 2003

Great trumpet player, but when he appeared in Stockton as guest of the San Joaquin Delta College Jazz band, he played two trumpet solos the first half. The rest of the time he was on piano or a Cuban/Latin drum set right up front. In Atherton Auditorium, where you can almost hear a pin drop on stage, ten foot speakers on each side were blasting out at almost unbearable levels. Half of the musicians in the band are friends of mine, and they all told me later that he was a real A _ _  H_ _  _  to them at the rehearsal. A great, talented trumpet player perhaps, but something is lacking somewhere!
My wife and I gave him a walking ovation...
Bob Romans
Cell Block 7
Jazz Band
1617 Lakeshore Dr.,