[Dixielandjazz] Introduction to Dixieland Music

John Petters jpettjazz at btinternet.com
Sat Feb 8 14:44:53 PST 2003

Jim Said in reply to new member David,
>Second, for beginners listening, and even for old >timers....any Dukes of
>Dixieland (early) recordings are great.  Same with >Firehouse Five Plus
Oh dear Jim, with all the great music around in traditional jazz history,
how can you seriously lead a newcomer to listen to the Dukes (competant
though they may be) or the circus music of the Fire House Five. Then after
that, Louis Armstrong.
Louis should have come first, peferably the 1920s Hot Fives & Sevens, then
King Oliver, Jelly Roll Morton, Bix Beidrerbecke, Original Dixieland Jazz
Band, Eddie Condon, Wild Bill Davison Comnodores, Sidney Bechet's New
Orleans Feetwarmers (1932 sessions and beyond) the Bechet & Bill Blue
Notes - all real jazz of the highest calibre.
Your suggestion to David could be compared to me in the UK recommending
Chris Barber, Kenny Ball or Acker Bilk recordings as a starting point. This
is what happened to a lot of players over here and in Europe who missed out
getting the real jazz from the masters, settling for a third hand version.
My advice to David and any other new comer to the music is go back to the
roots and the roots were in the recordings of the 20s, 30s and 40s. Most of
what came after does not come close. There are many fine musicians both in
the States and other places playing very good jazz today, but the innovators
have gone. There recordings remain however to be enjoyed, studied and
absorbed.
Welcome to traditional jazz David, listen and enjoy.
John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ