[Dixielandjazz] Everybody's happy & gay

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Sat Feb 8 12:17:14 PST 2003

Jim Beebe wrote:
>Gay was a wonderful word that meant light and cheery or happy........

I think I already told the story of being approached by a Spanish girl
one evening in a jazz club in Madrid.  She spoke a bit of English and
was asking what I had said about Gays in the song we just finished.  The
song was "Broadway", and one line is "Everybody's happy & gay".
It took me a moment to put together her comment with the line in the
song, but I got a great laugh out of it.  Had to explain to her how "it
used to mean....."  So, yes, the word has been taken away from its
normal use in our everyday language.  And, it is one of those real "fun"
words.

Jim