[Dixielandjazz] Clifford Brown - Was Identity Theft

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 7 20:48:53 PST 2003

Loved the post on Identity theft about Clifford Red stealing Clifford
Brown's identity. Not quite sure how it got posted, or who Dale DeVoe is
however I too am appalled about the general lack of knowledge about
Clifford Brown.

Having played at the Clifford Brown Jazz Festival in Wilmington a time
or two, I am amazed that the press there gives so little information
about this great genius who was born and raised there, in their grudging
mention of the Festival. I am also amazed how little attention is paid
to Brownie by the bands that perform there.

Barbone Street, yes I am tooting my own horn, always talks about Brownie
between numbers for a few seconds. About how well he played, about his
blues roots, about his genius at mathematics, about the fact that he
drank in moderation and did not do drugs, about how he always told
adoring local kids to get their college education first and then become
a jazz musician, about how he was a kind and gentle man, no pretentions,
no prejudices, about how he was a joy to be around or play with, and
about how Ace Tesone, our bass player was one of the last men to see him
alive, having been on that jam session with him the night Brownie,
Ritchie Powell and Mrs. Powell later drove towards Chicago, planning to
stop in Elkart Indiana so Brownie could test a new trumpet.

And I am still amazed that there is but one biography of Brown's life,
and not very complete at that. Clifford Brown, a giant, a genius, a
gentle man. How lucky I am to live and play nearby so that I can pay
homage to him every year in Wilmington at "his" Jazz Festival. I'll
Remember Clifford once again, with Barbone Street on June 17, 2003.

Ace will be there too. One of the few jazz musicians left who played and
recorded with Clifford Brown and who is also on that jam session record
made the night Brownie died.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone