[Dixielandjazz] on meeting Charlie Hooks in the alley

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Thu Feb 6 02:42:25 PST 2003

In a message dated 2/6/03 12:58:39 AM Central Standard Time,
JazzMnJoe at aol.com writes:

> charliehooks at earthlink.net writes:
>
> >> Question: Michele Curatola:  Have you ever seriously questioned whether
>> or
>> not you should be writing articles about people of whom you know nothing,
>> of
>> whom you are obviously merely recounting objects, knowing nothing of their
>> music, of their skill, or of their lack of it.
>>
>> Michele, I'm sure you are a very nice young lady (or old lady, as far as I
>> know): but about OKOM you should really SHUT THE HELL UP.  OR LEARN MORE.
>> Sorry to shout.  But, dear heart, you bother me!
>>
>> charliehooks at earthlink.net
>>

> Dear Mr. Hooks,
>
> You really know how to be offensive in your use of Capital letters in
> replying to this young lady who did not even refer to you in her
> article......Perhaps you should be playing for the Cubs or,Bears or some
> team that could really use your offensive language as well as your brute
> strength. I would be glad to meet you in the alley to settle this .   It
> was I who sent in the article.......Michele is a young woman with whom I
> correspond with. She or no one for that matter should have to read a
> message from a djml listmate that is as bitter as the one you penned this
> evening....
>
> I hope your happy, for I am not........I suggest that you put on that dunce
> cap and sit in the corner for awhile .......When you decide to be
> polite....I'll look forward to your apology directed to ms curatola........
>
> Thank you....Sir.........
>
> Jazzman Joe

   Whoa! Whoa!!!  Cease Fire here.   Can I jump in here...( yeah, I know that
this is weird for me, an old flamer, to be refereeing)

   I know Charlie Hooks very well and I know that he didn't mean his message
to sound as offensive as it sounded.  I, myself, have been guilty of being
too edgy and so I have a good idea of this mechanism and how a message
phrased rather strongly or even in a kind of jesting manner can come off as
strongly negative and offensive.

  My take on this is that he was a little piqued and what he meant to say in
a light bantering fashion came off in a much stronger light.  I'm sure that
he will want to come in and retract much of his statement.

  Charlie Hooks is a very sweet and friendly guy, not like that at all.
Please give him a pass on the meeting in the alley  (chuckle).  I'll second
for him  ( bigger chuckle).

  Jim Beebe